Sunday, July 26, 2009

Labor & Delivery






Alright people, I've decided that i am going to post the story of my labor and delivery for two reasons. One: Because i want to share with everyone our experience and document it, and Two: If i don't write it down soon, i might forget all the details.
So here goes it.

On Tuesday February 24, 2009 I had an appointment to go and see my Doctor for my final two week check up, and after that, we were going to go every week until my due date. (March 20) I hadn't been feeling well, and had been having some really bad swelling! To the point where i could hardly walk. When they called me back to do the usual weight check, pee in the cup and blood pressure, i was already feeling a little nervous. She sits me down for the blood pressure check. and after, she was like "hmm" so she did it again, and then she wouldn't tell me what it was. 
Mean while Eric was supposed to meet someone at a property so that he could give an estimate for a job. But the guy never showed, so he called and said that he could meet me at the Dr. Office. So he showed up and they took us back to the room, and the nurse asked me to lay on my left side, and to just relax for a few min. When the Dr finally came in, i could tell it wasn't good, whatever it was that she was about to say. She told me that there was too much protein in my urine, and that my blood pressure was 190/110. (way hi) And that they were afraid that that i had Preeclampsia. (The only way to get rid of it, is to deliver the baby) So they were sending me straight over to the hospital so that they could monitor my BP. (imagine a BP cuff going off every 10 minutes...it sucks)
I was checked into the hospital that morning. (Keep in mind that i am still almost a month away from my due date) They got me on monitors and started an IV. The decision came that it would be best for both baby and I, if the baby were born now, rather than wait. Because Preeclampsia is a very serious condition. And if its not taken care of early, we could both die. So they broke my water, and started the induction process at 11 am on Wednesday.
Contractions started right away. I don't think it was 10 minutes before i felt the first wave. Not bad at first, but they continued to get more and more intense. I was trying to be tough at first. And the nurse kept telling me that i could get that epidural whenever i needed it. But i wanted to hold off as long as i could. For one, I had been stressing about that part of the process for a few months, and was nervous about it, but i finally caved. I couldn't take it anymore.
So they got everything ready for the epidural, and I'm not going to lie. It really sucked. I wouldn't say that it was pleasant, but it was totally worth it! 
Ah! finally i can relax! But i wasn't feeling well, because they had me on an IV with meds that kept me from having seizures cuz my BP was still so high. But at least i could rest a little.
At around 12 am the next morning, I dont think that i really noticed at the time, but i was starting to feel pressure. and it gradually got worse, and i noticed that i was starting to feel pain. So i told the nurse, and she checked my epidural to make sure that it was working, and lo and behold it wasn't! the machine was jammed! While she was trying to fix it, I started feeling A LOT of pressure. I turned to her and said " We're in trouble!" My body just started taking over, and i couldn't control it anymore. It was really weird! 
She called for the Doctor, and started getting things prepped, but i was stressing because my epi was wearing off, and i was starting to feel everything! But thank goodness they got it back up and running right before i started pushing. (that would not have been a pleasant experience without drugs) The Dr. arrived, and 20 min later, our angel was born! At 4:03 am. she weighed 4 lbs 2 oz. and she was 16 inches long. 
That happy excitement was short lived. Because Londyn was so small, they were afraid that her lungs were not fully developed, So they called down to the NICU, which was located down town about 35 min from where we were. I was praying that they wouldn't send her away from me. So they did let me hold her for about 30 min before they took her to run tests and make sure everything was ok. I didn't get her back until about 2pm that afternoon. She was HEALTHY!!! They said that her organs looked good, and all of her tests came back normal! her only issue was her weight. I was so thankful to the Lord for that.
Although baby Londyn was healthy, I on the other hand was not. I continued to battle my HBP for the next 6 days. (In the hospital) I finally told my Dr that i needed to be at home. that being in the hospital was only stressing me out more, and that i was sure that i would do better in my own bed, in my own home. And that i had help from my husband and my sister. (they were not going to let me leave with out help) So my Dr. told me that i could go home, and that i had to go in every day after that to have my BP checked. 
It took me about 8-12 weeks with medication to make a full recovery, But i am thankful to the Brothers in my ward that came and gave me two blessings while i was in the hospital. And i am thankful to the Lord for healing me, and giving me a beautiful, healthy baby girl to care for and look after for the rest of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment